Skip to content
Asettuminen Turkuun

Settling in Turku


Local information

Select your municipality in order to see information about local services when browsing the site.

You can find important information from the page Settling in Finland.

Counselling and integration

Turku residents as a whole can use all general municipal services. In addition, there are many separate services and types of training for immigrants.

Services directed towards immigrants are listed at:

Link redirects to another websiteCity of Turku


International House Turku

International House Turku is a guidance and counselling centre that serves the immigrants of the City of Turku and its neighbouring municipalities. It is possible to visit the help desk directly during on-call periods or with an appointment.

In addition to Finnish, you can get guidance and counselling services in fourteen other languages (Arabic, Dari, English, Kurdish, Farsi, Polish, Romanian, Swedish, Somali, Finnish, Thai, Russian, Vietnamese and Estonian). Counselling is not offered daily in all languages but rather in accordance with a separate schedule. Check the schedule of the language you wish in advance from International House on the Turku website.

Guidance and counselling in multiple languages are provided in the following matters:

  • Housing
  • Job-seeking and working life, occupational safety and health
  • Economics, earning a living, taxation
  • Studying the Finnish language
  • Family matters
  • Leisure time
  • Residence permit matters, registration, nationality
  • Official processes and decisions

International House in Turku also offers other services by appointment, such as, for example, integration and re-settlement services, legal advice, social counselling, business consultation, guidance in vocational education, and university guidance and counselling services.

International House Turku, Kauppatorin Monitori

Aurakatu 8 | KOP-kolmio

20100 Turku

Counselling and guidance services in multiple languages are also available at Skanssi’s Monitori centre.

Monitori at Skanssi

Skanssi Shopping Centre, 2nd floor,

Skanssinkatu 10, 20730 Turku.

Telephone: +358 (0)40 1759584

Email ihturku(at)

Initial mapping and integration plan

If you have registered as a jobseeker, an initial mapping and integration plan will be prepared for you, on the basis of which you will be guided towards integration training. In order to access integration training, you should register at a TE Office as a jobseeker. On the TE office page, advice is provided as to who can register and how to do so as a job applicant.

Link redirects to another websiteTE services

Register as a job seeker

Employment and Economic Development Office (TE Office) / Turku Centre:

Valtion virastotalo (State Office Building)

Itsenäisyydenaukio 2

20800 Turku

Read more: Integrating into Finland

Immigrant Office

Immigrant Office health and social services are directed towards immigrants in Turku who have a refugee background and have lived in Finland for less than three years. The Immigrant Office looks after, among other things, the reception of guidance, counselling and other social services.

Those with refugee backgrounds also receive public health care services from the Immigrant Office, including entry checks, health counselling, medical reception and psychological services.

If you want to become a customer of the immigration office, register at the information office Mon-Fri from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and bring your identity card, residence permit decision and rental agreement with you.

Info and counselling:

Linnankatu 23

20100 Turku

Phone (02) 330 000

Mon-Fri 9.00–10.00


In case of an emergency, call 112.

The emergency telephone number 112 offers help in all urgent emergencies.

By calling the emergency number, you can reach the Police, an ambulance, or the fire brigade.

You can also call the number in the case of an urgent need for help concerning social security.

Do not call the emergency number if the situation is not a genuine emergency.

Link redirects to another websiteSouthwest Finland Emergency Services

Safety Guide

Social emergency services and other emergency numbers

If you require urgent aid from a social worker, contact the Social Emergency Services by telephone during working hours.

Social Emergency Services contact details:

Tel. +358 (0)2 262 6003

In the evening and during the weekend, you can contact the Turku area Social Emergency Services by calling the emergency response centre telephone number: 112.

Other City and standby emergency numbers can be found via:


If you need urgent assistance from the Police in the case of an emergency, call the emergency number: 112.

If you have fallen victim to a crime, you can report an offence to the police online or at the police station. Racist behaviour is also a crime in Finland, so you may report it as an offence. For further information on reporting an offence, please see the website of the Police of Finland.

Southwestern Finland Police Department

Eerikinkatu 40–42

FI-20100 Turku, FINLAND

Opening hours: Mon–Fri 08:00–16:15

Tel. +358 (0)295 440 501

If you are the victim of or witness to a crime, you can receive support from Victim Support Finland:

Victim Support Finland (RIKU)

Yliopistonkatu 24 C 46

20100 Turku

tel. (02) 235 5055


If you are being discriminated against, you are entitled to help from the Non-Discrimination Ombudsman. In certain cases, the Non-Discrimination Ombudsman can bring a case to the National Non-Discrimination and Equality Tribunal. The National Non-Discrimination and Equality Tribunal may, for example, ban discriminatory behaviour and enforce the ban by imposing a penalty payment.

Read more:


Help and information for those experiencing ethnic discrimination

Financial problems

If you have financial problems, you can ask a social worker or the Social Insurance Institution of Finland for advice. In certain situations, you are entitled to apply for income support. You can apply for income support via Kela (the Social Insurance Institution of Finland).

Social services

Initial Social Services provide guidance and counselling when you require general information on social services. They will offer help with surveying the situation and directing you to the correct services. Initial Social Services also provide help with applying for supplementary and preventive income support.

Initial Social Services offer guidance and counselling in relation to, e.g. the following topics:

  • applying for income support
  • financial difficulties
  • drug use problems
  • everyday difficulties

Initial Social Services offer help by telephone, through a chat service, and via an information point.

Info point:

Linnankatu 23, FI-20100 Turku, FINLAND (opening hours Mon–Fri 12:00–14:00)

Info point Monitori Market Square:

Aurakatu 8, FI-20100 Turku, FINLAND (opening hours Mon-Fri 09:00–11:00 and 12:00–15:45)

Tel: +358 (0)2 262 5001 (opening hours Mon–Wed 09:00-15:30, Thu 09:00–14:00 and Fri 09:00–15:30)

Financial and debt counselling

Financial and debt counselling services offer information and advice concerning financial and debt problems. The services are intended for private persons as well as self-employed practitioners and traders conducting small-scale business. The services are free of charge.

Varsinais-Suomen oikeusaputoimisto (Southwestern Finland legal aid office)

Financial and debt counselling

Turku Main Police Station

Eerikinkatu 40–42 A

FI-20100 Turku, FINLAND

tel. +358 (0)29 566 0430


Note! Visitors to the legal aid office debt counselling service must pass through the Police Station’s security check.

Do you need a lawyer?

If you require judicial assistance, you can contact Varsinais-Suomen oikeusaputoimisto (the Southwestern Finland legal aid office). The legal aid office serves all residents of the Turku area

Visiting address of Varsinais-Suomen oikeusaputoimisto (Southwestern Finland Legal Aid Office):

Turku Main Police Station

Eerikinkatu 40–42 A

FI-20100 Turku, FINLAND.

Note! Visitors to the legal aid office must pass through the Police Station’s security check.

Tel: +358 (0)29 56 60420

Email: varsinais-suomi.oikapu(at)

Link redirects to another websiteThe Finnish Bar Association


Read more:

Legal aid

Do you need an interpreter?

If you do not understand Finnish or Swedish, you can use the services of an interpreter when you handle matters with public officials.

In some cases you can obtain an interpreter through the public authority concerned. In that case, interpreting is arranged for you at no charge. You can ask about interpreting in advance from the relevant authority.

You can turn to an interpreter in other situations as well if you pay for the costs and order one yourself.

The following, for example, offers interpreting and translation services in Turku:

The Turku Region Interpretation Centre

Linnankatu 23

20100 Turku

Tel. (02) 262 6321

or tulkkaukset.tulkkikeskus(a)

Read more: Do you need an interpreter?