Select your municipality in order to see information about local services when browsing the site.
At the Helsinki service point of the Finnish Immigration Service, you can apply for a residence permit or register the right of residence of a EU citizen.
Helsinki service point of the Finnish Immigration Service:
Open: Mon–Fri 8:00–16.15
You can apply for many residence permits and EU registrations online in the Enter Finland service. If you are not familiar with using computers, you can fill a paper application form and bring it to a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.
You should always make an appointment for the service point in advance. You can make the appointment in the appointment booking service of the Finnish Immigration Service. Please note that the service point cannot give advice about permit matters.
Read more: Moving to Finland.
Registering as a resident
If you are moving to Espoo permanently, you must register as a resident of the municipality. You can register at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency in Helsinki.
Digital and Population Data Services Agency
Tel. 0295 536 320
When visiting the Digital and Population Data Services Agency, please bring along the following:
- identification (e.g., your passport)
- residence permit and residence card (if you need a residence permit for Finland)
- certificate of registration of the right to reside (oleskeluoikeuden rekisteröintitodistus) if you are an EU citizen
- marriage certificate
- your children’s birth certificates.
Please note that all foreign documents must be legalised and translated into Finnish, Swedish or English.
You can also apply for a personal identity code at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency.
Digital and Population Data Services AgencyRegistering a foreign citizenLink redirects to another website
Digital and Population Data Services AgencyDigital and Population Data Services Agency contact informationLink redirects to another website
International House Helsinki
If you have recently moved into the Helsinki metropolitan area, you can receive guidance and public services in one place at International House Helsinki (IHH). You can:
- seek free guidance and information related to moving in several languages
- registration of right of residence if you are a citizen of an EU country
- apply for a Finnish personal identity code, register as a resident and report your address information
- receive a tax card, a tax number and guidance related to taxation
- search for information about Finnish social security and benefits
- receive guidance on TE services and searching for work
- receive guidance on earnings-related pension and information on the A1 certificate
- seek employment guidance
- seek guidance for companies and employers
The IHH Service Advisor App web application helps you to find the correct authorities and gives you advice on what documents you should take with you.
The service includes Helsinki-info, the City of Espoo, the Digital and Population Data Services Agency, the Finnish Immigration Service, the Tax Administration, Kela, the Uusimaa TE Office, the Finnish Centre for Pensions, the Helsinki Region Chamber of Commerce and the Central Organisation of Finnish Trade Unions, SAK.
International House Helsinki