Skip to content

Tax card

You need to have a tax card if you receive a salary or other income in Finland. The tax card shows your tax rate. The employer will then know how much tax to withhold from your salary. Your tax rate depends on the amount of your income.

If you have just moved to Finland, you can receive a tax card from a tax office. For the tax card, you need to estimate the amount of income you will receive during the whole year. You also need to have a Finnish personal identity code. You will receive a personal identity code when you register as a resident at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency. You can also receive a personal identity code at a tax office.

Read more on the page Registering as a resident.

When you live permanently in Finland, the Tax Administration will send you a new tax card each year in December or January. The Tax Administration will calculate a tax rate for you on the basis of how much income you have received in the previous year. Show your tax card or a copy to your employer. You do not need to give the tax card to the employer. If you do not show the tax card to your employer, they will deduct 60% of your salary as taxes. The electronic tax card is available online in the MyTax service. In addition, you can receive a paper tax card at home.

If your income changes during the year, order a new tax card. You can receive a new tax card:

  • from the MyTax online service of the Tax Administration
  • from the telephone service of the Tax Administration
    • Finnish 029 497 000
    • Swedish 029 497 001
    • English 029 497 050.

You can also visit a tax office.

When you apply for a new tax card, you need the following information:

  • estimate of income for the whole year
  • income and taxes at the beginning of the year
  • information on any deductions.

If you pay too much tax, you will receive a tax refund. If you pay too little tax, you will have to pay back tax.

Link redirects to another websiteFinnish Tax Administration

Tax card

Link redirects to another websiteFinnish Tax Administration

Tax percentage calculator

If you have several employers

There is only one tax card for all wage income. You can present the same tax card to several employers. The tax card has one income limit for the whole year. Monitor the accrual of your income during the year, especially if you have several employers or clients. If the income limit on your tax card is not sufficient, apply for a new tax card in MyTax..

Tax number

You need to have a tax number if you work at a construction or installation site in Finland. The tax number is used to check that all workers are registered with the Finnish Tax Administration. Your tax number must be listed on your name tag with your photo, which will be provided for you by your employer. You are not allowed to work on a construction site without this tag.

The tax number will also be introduced in the shipbuilding sector. If you work at a shipyard, you must have a registered tax number as of 1 July 2022.

You will receive the tax number from the tax office at the same time that you collect a tax card.

If you already have a Finnish personal identity code and a tax card, you will find the tax number in your tax card.

Link redirects to another websiteFinnish Tax Administration

Individual Tax Numbers