Living in Finland


Asukkaaksi rekisteröityminen

Registering as a resident

When you have moved to Finland, you must visit the Local Register Office (maistraatti) of your place of residence. Before visiting the Local Register Office, you can fill in the registration form on the website. You can also fill in the form at the Local Register Office. The Local Register Office will enter your data into the Finnish Population Information System. When certain conditions are met, you can also receive a Finnish personal identity code from the Local Register Office if you did not receive one when you were granted a residence permit or when your EU citizen’s right of residence was registered at the Finnish Immigration Service.

If you need a personal identity code for work, you can get a personal identity code from a tax office as well.

The Local Register Office decides whether a Finnish municipality of residence (kotikunta) can be entered for you.

When visiting the Local Register Office, please bring along at least the following documents:

  • a passport or
  • other identity document indicating your citizenship (if you are a citizen of an EU country or the Nordic countries)
  • a legalised marriage certificate (if you are married),
  • children's legalised birth certificates (if you have children who are under 18 moving to Finland),
  • a residence permit (if you need a residence permit for Finland),
  • certificate of registration of an EU citizen’s right to reside (if you are an EU citizen and you need registration),
  • a contract of employment or a certificate of studies (unless you have registered your EU citizen’s right to reside)

Please note that any documents brought from abroad must be legalised in order for personal data based on them to be entered into the Population Information System.

Documents must also be translated into Finnish, Swedish or English if they are in some other language.

For further information on the legalisation of documents, please contact the Local Register Office or the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of your own country.

linkkiLocal register office:
Registering a foreign citizenFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiTax Administration:
Registering a foreign citizen in a tax officeFinnish | Swedish | English

Finnish personal identity code

A personal identity code (henkilötunnus) is a number sequence with 11 characters, formed on the basis of your date of birth and gender. You need a personal identity code for your employer or educational institution, for example. It will also make it easier for you to attend to issues involving the authorities.

To obtain a Finnish personal identity code, you must register your data in the Finnish Population Information System. This means that any basic information on you must be entered in the Population Information System. Such information includes your name, date of birth, citizenship, gender and address.

When you apply for a residence permit, you can apply for a Finnish personal identity code at the same time. In such a case, in your residence permit application you should request registration in the Finnish Population Information System.

If you are an EU citizen, you can apply for a personal identity code at the same time as applying for registration of your right of residence. You can request registration in the Finnish Population Information System by ticking the appropriate box on the registration form.

Read more on the InfoFinland page Municipality of residence in Finland.

Registering as a resident
  • Municipality of residence in Finland