How to apply for Finnish citizenship?
Obtaining Finnish citizenship through an application requires the following:
- You can reliably verify your identity.
- You are at least 18 year old or married.
- You have lived in Finland for a sufficiently long period. The required period depends on your situation, normally, it is at least four to seven years.
- You have not committed offences.
- You have not neglected to pay, for example, taxes, fines, child support or hospital fees.
- You can confirm how you will obtain your livelihood in Finland.
- You have at least satisfactory skills in Finnish or Swedish, or in Finnish or Finnish-Swedish sign language. For more information on how to proof your language skills, see the InfoFinland page Official certificate of language proficiency. More information on studying Finnish and Swedish is available on the InfoFinland page Finnish and Swedish.
You can apply for citizenship online through the Enter Finland service. Fill in the application in the service and attach the appendices. You need at least the following documents for the application:
- A valid personal identification document
- An account of your language skills
- An account of your income.
You need to pay the application processing fee at that time.
After you have filled in an application in the service, you have three months to go and prove your identity. Make an appointment for a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service on their website. When you go to prove your identity, bring a personal identification document and the original copies of the application appendices.
If you are also applying for citizenship for your child, your child must also come and prove their identity.
After you submit the application, remember to monitor your Enter Finland account. If the Finnish Immigration Service needs additional clarifications, you will be informed through the Enter Finland service. Your application may be rejected if you do not submit additional clarifications in time. When the decision has been made, you will be informed.
If you are unable to apply for citizenship online, you can also apply using a paper form. Print out the form from the Finnish Immigration Service website and fill it in advance. Bring the filled-in application and its appendices personally to a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.
More information on applying for citizenship and on other matters related to citizenship is available on the Finnish Immigration Service’s website.
Finnish citizenship differs from a residence permit. If you are only just planning moving to Finland, read more on the InfoFinland page Moving to Finland.