Muutto Vantaalle

Moving to Vantaa

Coronavirus and moving to Finland

Border traffic in Finland is being restricted. Many countries still have quarantine provisions in place.

To read more, go to: Coronavirus and moving to Finland.

Permit matters

At the Helsinki service point of the Finnish Immigration Service, you can apply for a residence permit or register the right of residence of a EU citizen.

Helsinki service point of the Finnish Immigration Service:

Kaupparaitti 10
00770 Helsinki
Open: Mon–Fri 8:00–16:15

You can apply for many residence permits and EU registrations online in the Enter Finland service. If you are not familiar with using computers, you can fill a paper application form and bring it to a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.

You should always make an appointment for the service point in advance. You can make the appointment in the appointment booking service of the Finnish Immigration Service. Please note that the service point cannot give advice about permit matters.

Read more: Moving to Finland.
Electronic applicationFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiFinnish Immigration Service:
Electronic appointment bookingFinnish | Swedish | English

Registering as a resident

If you are moving to Vantaa permanently, you must register as a resident of the municipality. You can register at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (Digi- ja väestötietovirasto).

Digital and Population Data Services Agency
Lintulahdenkuja 2
00530 Helsinki
Email: international(at)
Tel. registrations of foreigners 029 55 36 320

When visiting the Digital and Population Data Services Agency, please bring along the following:

  • identification (e.g., your passport)
  • residence permit and residence card (if you need a residence permit for Finland)
  • certificate of registration of the right to reside (oleskeluoikeuden rekisteröintitodistus) if you are an EU citizen
  • marriage certificate
  • your children’s birth certificates.

Please note that all foreign documents must be legalised. More information about the legalisation of documents is available at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency, or your country’s diplomatic mission in Finland.

Read more: Registering as a resident.

linkkiDigital and Population Data Services Agency:
Registering a foreign citizenFinnish | Swedish | English

International House Helsinki

If you have recently moved into the Helsinki metropolitan area, you can receive guidance and public services in one place at International House Helsinki (IHH). You can:

  • seek free guidance and information related to moving in several languages
  • apply for a Finnish personal identity code, register as a resident and report your address information
  • receive a tax card, a tax number and guidance related to taxation
  • search for information about Finnish social security and benefits
  • receive guidance on TE services and searching for work
  • receive guidance on earnings-related pension and information on the A1 certificate
  • seek employment guidance
  • seek guidance for companies and employers

The IHH Service Advisor App web application helps you to find the correct authorities and gives you advice on what documents you should take with you.


International House Helsinki
Lintulahdenkuja 2
00530 Helsinki

linkkiInternational House Helsinki:
IHH – a service point for people moving to Finland English

linkkiInternational House Helsinki:
IHH Service Advisor App web application English