Muutto Helsinkiin

Moving to Helsinki

Coronavirus and moving to Finland

Border traffic in Finland is being restricted. Many countries still have quarantine provisions in place.

To read more, go to: Coronavirus and moving to Finland.

Permit matters

At the Helsinki service point of the Finnish Immigration Service, you can apply for a residence permit or register the right of residence of a EU citizen.

Helsinki service point of the Finnish Immigration Service:

Kaupparaitti 10
00770 Helsinki
Open: Mon–Fri 8:00–16.15
Last Thursday of the month from 10:00 to 16:15

You can apply for many residence permits and EU registrations online in the Enter Finland service. If you are not familiar with using computers, you can fill a paper application form and bring it to a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.

You should always make an appointment for the service point in advance. You can make the appointment in the appointment booking service of the Finnish Immigration Service. Please note that the service point cannot give advice about permit matters.

Read more: Moving to Finland.

linkkiFinnish Immigration Service:
Electronic appointment bookingFinnish | Swedish | English
Electronic applicationFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Moving to HelsinkiEnglish

Registering as a resident

If you are moving to Helsinki permanently, you must register as a resident of the municipality. To register a municipality of residence, you must visit the Helsinki service location of the Digital and Population Data Services Agency in person:

Digital and Population Data Services Agency, Helsinki
Lintulahdenkuja 2 D
2nd floor area
Tel. 0295 536 320 or 0295 536 000

When visiting the Digital and Population Data Services Agency, please bring along the following:

  • personal identification (a passport, for example)
  • residence permit and residence card (if you need a residence permit for Finland)
  • right of residence registration certificate (if you are a citizen of an EU country)
  • marriage certificate
  • birth certificates of your children

Please note that any documents brought from abroad must be translated into Finnish, Swedish or English and legalised. You can read more about the legalisation of documents and registration of foreigners on the InfoFinland page: Registering as a resident. You can also ask about it at your own country’s Diplomatic Mission in Helsinki.

More information about the registration of foreigners in the Population Information System and entering a municipality of residence is provided at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency website.

linkkiDigital and Population Data Services Agency:
Registering a foreign citizenFinnish | Swedish | English

International House Helsinki

If you have recently moved into the Helsinki metropolitan area, you can receive guidance and public services in one place at International House Helsinki (IHH). You can:

  • seek free guidance and information related to moving in several languages
  • registration of right of residence if you are a citizen of an EU country
  • apply for a Finnish personal identity code, register as a resident and report your address information
  • receive a tax card, a tax number and guidance related to taxation
  • search for information about Finnish social security and benefits
  • receive guidance on TE services and searching for work
  • receive guidance on earnings-related pension and information on the A1 certificate
  • seek employment guidance
  • seek guidance for companies and employers
  • advice services for finding housing and questions on housing

The IHH Service Advisor App web application helps you to find the correct authorities and gives you advice on what documents you should take with you.

The service includes Helsinki-info, the City of Espoo, the Digital and Population Data Services Agency, the Finnish Immigration Service, the Tax Administration, Kela, the Uusimaa TE Office, the Finnish Centre for Pensions, the Helsinki Region Chamber of Commerce and the Central Organisation of Finnish Trade Unions, SAK.


International House Helsinki
Lintulahdenkuja 2 D, 2nd floor

linkkiInternational House Helsinki:
IHH – a service point for people moving to Finland English

linkkiInternational House Helsinki:
IHH Service Advisor App web application English

linkkiCity of Helsinki: