Select your municipality in order to see information about local services when browsing the site.
At the Helsinki service point of the Finnish Immigration Service, you can apply for a residence permit or register the right of residence of a EU citizen.
Helsinki service point of the Finnish Immigration Service:
Open: Mon–Fri 8:00–16.15
Last Thursday of the month from 10:00 to 16:15
You can apply for many residence permits and EU registrations online in the Enter Finland service. If you are not familiar with using computers, you can fill a paper application form and bring it to a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.
You should always make an appointment for the service point in advance. You can make the appointment in the appointment booking service of the Finnish Immigration Service. Please note that the service point cannot give advice about permit matters.
Read more: Moving to Finland.
Finnish Immigration ServiceElectronic appointment bookingLink redirects to another website
Enterfinland.fiElectronic applicationLink redirects to another website
Residence permit problems
If you have problems or there is some confusion about your residence permit, you can contact the Finnish Immigration Service. You can also ask for advice at the Helsinki-info service point.
Tel. 09 310 11111, Mon–Thu 9 am–4 pm, Fri 10 am–3 pm
- Central Library Oodi, address: Töölönlahdenkatu 4
- International House Helsinki, address: Lintulahdenkuja 2
Refugees, asylum seekers and other foreigners can seek help and advice in residence permit matters at the Refugee Advice Centre.
Address: Pasilanraitio 9 B
Tel. 09 2313 9300 or 09 2313 9325
To read more, go to: Residence permit problems.
Registering as a resident
If you are moving to Helsinki permanently, you must register as a resident of the municipality. To register a municipality of residence, you must visit the Helsinki service location of the Digital and Population Data Services Agency in person:
Digital and Population Data Services Agency, Helsinki
Lintulahdenkuja 2 D
2nd floor area
Tel. 0295 536 320 or 0295 536 000
When visiting the Digital and Population Data Services Agency, please bring along the following:
- personal identification (a passport, for example)
- residence permit and residence card (if you need a residence permit for Finland)
- right of residence registration certificate (if you are a citizen of an EU country)
- marriage certificate
- birth certificates of your children
Please note that any documents brought from abroad must be translated into Finnish, Swedish or English and legalised. You can read more about the legalisation of documents and registration of foreigners on the InfoFinland page: Registering as a resident. You can also ask about it at your own country’s Diplomatic Mission in Helsinki.
More information about the registration of foreigners in the Population Information System and entering a municipality of residence is provided at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency website.
Digital and Population Data Services AgencyRegistering a foreign citizenLink redirects to another website
International House Helsinki
If you have recently moved into the Helsinki metropolitan area, you can receive guidance and public services in one place at International House Helsinki (IHH). You can:
- seek free guidance and information related to moving in several languages
- registration of right of residence if you are a citizen of an EU country
- apply for a Finnish personal identity code, register as a resident and report your address information
- receive guidance related to taxation
- search for information about Finnish social security and benefits
- receive guidance on TE services and searching for work
- receive guidance on earnings-related pension and information on the A1 certificate
- seek guidance for companies and employers
Lintulahdenkuja 2 D, 2nd floor