Living in Finland


Pohjoismaiden kansalaiset

Nordic citizens

If you are a citizen of a Nordic country, you do not need a residence permit for Finland. You have the right to work, study and engage in entrepreneurship in Finland.

When you move to Finland, you must make a notification of move and register at the Local Register Office (maistraatti) of your place of residence. Please note that you must personally visit the Local Register Office. Make the notification of move one week after your move at the latest.

For registration, you will need an official identity card indicating your citizenship or a valid passport.

Family members of a Nordic citizen

If a family member who is not a Nordic citizen moves to Finland with you, he or she may need a residence permit or the certificate of registration of the right of residence of a Union citizen. Read more on the InfoFinland page EU citizens or Non-EU citizens.

Finnish personal identity code

When you register at the Local Register Office, you can obtain a Finnish personal identity code (henkilötunnus)at the same time. You will need a personal identity code when dealing with the authorities, which will also make dealing with a bank or your employer easier. Read more on the InfoFinland page Registering as a resident.

linkkiLocal register office:
Registering a foreign citizenFinnish | Swedish | English
Information for citizens of the Nordic countriesFinnish | Swedish | English | Norwegian | Danish | Icelandic
Counselling services for citizens of the Nordic countriesFinnish | English | Norwegian | Danish | Icelandic