Perheenjäsenen luokse Suomeen

Moving to Finland as a family member

If you want to move to Finland to live with a member of your family who is already residing in this country, you will require a residence permit.

If you would only like to visit a family member in Finland, see further information on the InfoFinland page A short stay in Finland.

Not all of your family members can be granted a residence permit. Normally, a residence permit can be granted to the spouse, common-law spouse or minor children of a person residing in Finland, and to the parents of a minor child residing in Finland. Often it is also required that the person residing in Finland has adequate funds to support the family member moving to Finland.

Please note that different rules apply to the family members of EU citizens (non-Finnish citizens). If you are a family member of an EU citizen residing in Finland, you can find additional information on residence permits on the InfoFinland page EU citizens.

Additional information on how family members can obtain a residence permit is available on the InfoFinland page Residence permit for a spouse, Residence permit for a child or parent, Residence permit for other family member.

Further information for persons moving to Finland for family reasons is available on the InfoFinland page Family member.

linkkiFinnish Immigration Service:
Coming to Finland on the basis of family tiesFinnish | Swedish | English