Jos jäät työttömäksi
theme icon

If you become unemployed

Register as an unemployed job seeker

If you become unemployed, register yourself at the TE Office no later than on your first day of unemployment. If you are covered by Finnish social security, you can apply for unemployment benefit. You may receive unemployment benefit starting from the day you have registered as an unemployed job seeker. Don’t forget to register immediately also after studying, labour market training or a period of subsidised employment.

Register yourself as a job seeker through the TE Office’s online service. Log in using your online banking identifiers or an identity card with a chip. A TE Office employee will call you if additional clarification is needed. There is no need for you to call or visit the TE Office unless specifically requested to do so.

If you do not have online banking identifiers or an identity card with a chip, register yourself as a job seeker at your nearest TE Office.

Only the citizens of EU member states, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland can register as job seekers via the online service. If you are a citizen of some other country, you must register as a job seeker at a TE Office.

When you go to the TE Office take along

  • all your testimonials of service and study certificates
  • a passport which shows your residence permit

The TE Office will examine the information you have provided. The unemployment benefit is subject to certain conditions, and the TE Office will determine whether the conditions are met in your situation. The TE Office will then issue a statement about the matter to the authority paying the benefit, i.e. the unemployment fund or Kela.

You can ask for advice on matters relating to unemployment benefit at your own TE Office. You can also call the unemployment counselling services of the TE services:

  • in Finnish: 0295 020 701
  • Swedish: 0295 020 711
  • in English: 0295 030 713
  • in Russian: 0295 020 715

Read also the InfoFinland web page: Unemployment benefit

linkkiMinistry of Economic Affairs and Employment:
If you become unemployedFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiMinistry of Economic Affairs and Employment:
Registering as an unemployed jobseekerFinnish | Swedish

linkkiMinistry of Economic Affairs and Employment:
Unemployment benefit counsellingFinnish | Swedish | English | Russian

Holidaymaking, studying or working during unemployment

If you start working or studying while you are unemployed, please notify the TE Office. They will advise you on how this will affect your unemployment benefit.

If you travel in Finland or abroad, make sure you can be reached at all times. Leave, for example, your phone number and address at the TE Office and tell the staff how long you plan to stay at your travel destination.

A trip abroad is not, however, an acceptable reason for turning down a job offered to you.

If you start business activities while you are unemployed, you may receive unemployment benefit for the first 4 months.

Qualifying period

You may lose your right to daily unemployment allowance for a prescribed time if your unemployment is due to a self-inflicted reason. This can happen, for example, if:

  • you do not apply for a job proposed to you by the TE Office
  • you do not accept a job that is offered to you
  • you resign from you work yourself without a solid reason.

The qualifying period length varies from 15 to 90 days. The length depends on the cause of the qualifying period. In some cases, you may lose your right to unemployment benefit for the time being.

If you become unemployed
  • Unemployment benefit