Suomen kielen opiskelu
theme icon

Studying Finnish

There are many ways for adults to study Finnish.

Language courses

Finnish language courses are organised by adult education centres, universities and summer universities, for example. Sometimes a course can also be accessed through the workplace. You can find out more information from the counselling services of your municipality and, in large cities, the service.
Finnish and Swedish coursesFinnish | English | Russian

linkkiKansalaisopistojen liitto:
Community colleges in FinlandFinnish | Swedish | English | Russian | Estonian | Somali | Turkish | Chinese | Persian | Arabic | Kurdish | Albanian | Thai | Vietnamese

Courses usually begin in August or September as well as in January. You can usually attend a language course in the evening. Language courses are often very full, so ensure to register in time.

Integration training

If you have just moved to Finland, you may be entitled to integration services. Integration training usually includes language studies.

Read more on the page Integration into Finland.

linkkiMinistry of Economic Affairs and Employment:
Finnish and Swedish language educationFinnish | Swedish | English

TE Office training

If you are unemployed, you may be entitled to language training and other services organised by the TE Office. Ask the TE Office or your municipality’s employment services for more information.

Read more on the page If you become unemployed.

Preparatory education

You can also study Finnish as part of preparatory vocational education (VALMA) or preparatory education for upper secondary school (LUVA).

Read more about preparatory education on the pages Vocational education and training and Upper secondary school.