theme icon

Comprehensive education

In Finland, all children go to school, because according to the law, all children must receive comprehensive education. Teachers are highly educated and the teaching is of high quality in all schools.

In general, children and young people receive comprehensive education in comprehensive school. A child usually starts school in the year when he/she turns 7. Comprehensive school usually lasts nine years. Comprehensive school is free for everyone.
Comprehensive education for immigrantsFinnish | Swedish | English

Coronavirus COVID-19

A sick child must not go to school. The child must remain home even if the symptoms are mild.

Take the child to COVID-19 testing if you know he or she has been exposed to COVID-19. COVID-19 testing is also recommended if there are persons in the family who are at risk of developing COVID-19, such as unvaccinated persons over 16 years of age. More information is available from the Omaolo service, your own health centre or the Medical Helpline on 116 117.

Read more about coronavirus: Coronavirus COVID-19

If your under 16-year-old child has been quarantined or ordered to isolate him/herself and you therefore cannot go to work, you may be entitled to Kela’s communicable disease allowance.

Read more: Financial problems

Do a symptom assessment if you suspect coronavirusFinnish | Swedish | English

Starting school

Children must be enrolled into school by their parents. The municipality sends a compulsory education notice (oppivelvollisuusilmoitus) to appropriate homes at the beginning of each year. The notice lists each child’s local school (lähikoulu). The local school is usually the school that is closest to home. Parents can also choose to send their child to a school other than the local school. However, it is not always possible to get your child a place in any other than the local school.

You can complete the school enrolment at your child’s local school. In some municipalities, you can also submit the enrolment online. The enrolment time is at the beginning of the year, usually in January.

English-language schools and other teaching in different languages

The largest cities have international schools and schools where the language of instruction is English. There are also private schools in Finland where the language of instruction is German, French or Russian.

You can usually find information on these schools on the city’s website.

Different schools

Your child may also attend a school that is specialised in a certain subject. Sometimes these schools are private schools. A school may specialise, among others, in the following things:

  • Art
  • Music
  • Physical education
  • Special pedagogy (for example, Steiner pedagogy)

linkkiAssociation of Steiner Pedagogy:
Information on Steiner schoolsFinnish | English

School day and studying

School begins in August and ends in late May or early June. School is out for the summer during June and July.

The length of school days varies between grades. In primary school, the days are shorter than in secondary school. Individual classes usually take 45 minutes. A school week usually comprises approximately 20 classes.

Children have a single hot meal in school. It is free-of-charge. If your child has a special diet, please inform a teacher.

In comprehensive school, children study many compulsory subjects. In the final grades of primary school and in secondary school, they can also choose optional subjects.

In school, all children can receive education in their own religion or in ethics. Education in a particular religion must be arranged when a municipality contains at least three children of that religion.

Some schools have separate classes for students with talent in music or visual arts, for example. These classes normally require separate application.

Immigrants and comprehensive school

A child or young person may receive preparatory education for basic education, during which he or she will study Finnish (or Swedish) and some other subjects. Preparatory education is intended for all immigrant children whose skills are not yet good enough to attend basic education in a group. Preparatory education usually takes one year. After this, the student is transferred to a normal class.

If the child’s native language is not Finnish or Swedish, the municipality can arrange for education in the language in question. This allows the child to study Finnish or Swedish as a second language, i.e. S2 language (S2-kieli). A student will study Finnish (or Swedish) as a second language, if his or her Finnish or Swedish skills are not at a native level.

Upper secondary schools for adults organise basic education for adult immigrants who do not have a comprehensive school leaving certificate from their native country. Ask for more information at the counselling services of your municipality or at the nearest upper secondary school for adults. You can search for the contact information of upper secondary schools for adults through online search engines.

linkkiMinistry of Education and Culture:
Information on basic educationFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiFinnish National Agency for Education:
Information on basic educationFinnish | Swedish | English

Messages between the home and school

In many municipalities, the school uses the Wilma online service to communicate about important matters. The school gives the child’s parents a username and password for the service. Through Wilma, you can stay in touch with your child’s teachers and receive information about your child’s learning, exams and absences as well as school events and holidays. If your child must be absent from school, for example due to illness, inform the school through Wilma that morning.

It is important to monitor Wilma regularly. If you need help with using Wilma, ask the school for guidance.

The City of Kerava has published instructions in different languages on how to use Wilma. Please note that the login address for Wilma is different in different cities.

linkkiCity of Kerava:
How to use Wilma(pdf, 239 kt)Finnish | English | Russian | Estonian | Turkish | Arabic | Kurdish | Thai | Vietnamese

Parents’ evenings

In Finland, schools organise joint parents’ evenings for the parents of pupils. They are meant for all parents. At parents’ evenings, you will get to know your child’s school, teacher and other parents. You will also obtain information about your child’s schooling and what takes place at school. When you are familiar with your child’s studies and school matters, you will be able to help and support your child better.

Student support and tenth grade

Comprehensive school students are supported in their school work. Student counsellors talk to students about study methods and further education. They also provide career selection guidance.

Student psychologists and school social workers help students in problematic situations. Teachers can provide children with short-term remedial education.

Children who have difficulty learning and concentrating receive special needs education. Special needs groups are smaller than regular classes.

Teachers maintain contact with parents. They arrange meetings with parents and give parents information on their children’s studies. Many schools keep in contact with parents through online systems.

Schools may also provide additional education, i.e. the so-called tenth grade (kymppiluokka). These give students the chance to improve their grades and determine which field of study interests them.

You can apply for the tenth grade once you have received your certificate for completing comprehensive school. The tenth grade usually lasts one year.
Information on the tenth gradeFinnish | Swedish | English