Asettuminen Helsinkiin

Settling in Helsinki

In Helsinki, you can find various services that help you settle in the city. Such services include, for example, initial assessment (alkukartoitus), integration plan (kotoutumissuunnitelma) and integration training (kotoutumiskoulutus). If your family members move to Helsinki with you, they may also be entitled to these services.

Services that facilitate integration


Helsinki-info is an advice service where you can get up-to-date information about Helsinki, city services, housing opportunities, work and studying. You can also ask for help if you are uncertain as to which authority to contact. Helsinki-info also offers digital advice and helps with matters connected to entry into the country. Helsinki-info serves in several languages by phone, face to face or online.

Telephone 09 310 11111 and chat Mon–Thu 9 am–4 pm, Fri 10 am–3 pm

Service points:

  • Central Library Oodi, address: Töölönlahdenkatu 4, Mon–Thu 9 am–6 pm and Fri 10 am–6 pm.
  • International House Helsinki, address: Lintulahdenkuja 2 D, 2nd floor area, Mon–Thu 9 am–4 pm and Fri 9 am–4 pm.
  • Advice service is also provided in various areas of Helsinki at the libraries, play parks, cultural centres and facilities of different organisations. For the service locations and hours, please visit the Helsinki-info website.

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Advice service in different areasFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Chat counselling (Helsinki-info)Finnish | Swedish | English

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Send a question or give feedbackFinnish | Swedish | English

International House Helsinki

If you have recently moved into the Helsinki metropolitan area, you can receive guidance and public services in one place at International House Helsinki (IHH). You can:

  • seek free guidance and information related to moving in several languages
  • registration of right of residence if you are a citizen of an EU country
  • apply for a Finnish personal identity code, register as a resident and report your address information
  • receive a tax card, a tax number and guidance related to taxation
  • search for information about Finnish social security and benefits
  • receive guidance on TE services and searching for work
  • receive guidance on earnings-related pension and information on the A1 certificate
  • seek employment guidance
  • seek guidance for companies and employers
  • advice services for finding housing and questions on housing

The IHH Service Advisor App web application helps you to find the correct authorities and gives you advice on what documents you should take with you.

The service includes Helsinki-info, the City of Espoo, the Digital and Population Data Services Agency, the Finnish Immigration Service, the Tax Administration, Kela, the Uusimaa TE Office, the Finnish Centre for Pensions, the Helsinki Region Chamber of Commerce and the Central Organisation of Finnish Trade Unions, SAK.

International House Helsinki
Lintulahdenkuja 2D, 2nd floor area
00530 Helsinki

linkkiInternational House Helsinki:
IHH – a service point for people moving to Finland English

linkkiInternational House Helsinki:
IHH Service Advisor App web application English

Remote digital support

Remote digital support is a free city service for Helsinki residents. You can get help directly at home by phone or computer. The guide will contact you and agree on the type of support they will provide. This could be the use of a computer, tablet and smartphone, or electronic transactions, online services and the most common applications, for example. First, you need to call them on 09 310 111 11. The city’s service advisers will answer questions and fill in the form for the support request. Support is available in Finnish, Swedish, English, Russian, Arabic and German. You can also fill in the form yourself online in Finnish, Swedish or English.

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Remote digital supportFinnish | Swedish | English

Initial assessment and integration plan

When you register as a job seeker, an employee of the Employment and Economic Development Office (Työ- ja elinkeinotoimisto) will complete an initial assessment (alkukartoitus) with you and prepare an integration plan (kotoutumissuunnitelma). The Employment and Economic Development Offices of Itäkeskus and Pasila perform initial assesments. In order to have an initial survey, you must register as a job seeker online at You can register as a job seeker online if you have Finnish online banking credentials. You can also register for an initial assesment at an Employment and Economic Development Office.

Itäkeskus unit
Address: Asiakkaankatu 3 A, 4th floor
Telephone: 0295 025 500
Opening hours: Mon-Fri 9 am to 4 pm

Pasila unit
Address: Ratapihantie 7 (entrance from the Veturinkatu side of the building)
Telephone: 0295 025 500
Opening hours: Mon-Fri 9 am to 4 pm

linkkiTE Services:
Videos and brochures for immigrantsFinnish | Swedish | English | Russian | Estonian | French | Somali | Spanish | Turkish | Chinese | Arabic

Immigration Unit

The Immigration Unit of the City of Helsinki’s Social Services and Health Care helps with the integration of refugees living in Helsinki. Services provided by the Immigration Unit include guidance, counselling and initial assessments. The Immigration Unit also helps people who are victims of human trafficking.

If you are not looking for a job, but would like to receive an initial assesment and integration plan, contact the Immigration Unit of the City of Helsinki’s Social Services and Health Care.

Contact information of the Immigration Unit:
Työpajankatu 14A
00580 Helsinki
Social work helpline (09) 310 37 577 Mon–Fri 8:15 am–4 pm

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Immigration UnitFinnish | Swedish | English

Read more: Integration into Finland.

Do you need an interpreter?

If you do not speak Finnish or Swedish, you can use an interpreter when attending to your affairs with the authorities. The Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela) and the Finnish Immigration service (Maahanmuuttovirasto), for example, book interpreters for their customers in some cases. In that case you do not need to pay for it. Always ask about interpreting in advance from the authority in question or ask Helsinki-info for advice.

If you book an interpreter yourself and pay for it, you can use an interpreter whenever you want. Many companies in Helsinki provide interpreting services. You can search for such companies on the Internet, for example. For example, A-tulkkaus provides public service interpreters for situations where you deal with public authorities.

You can search for an interpreter or translator using the search engine on the website of The Finnish Association of Translators and Interpreters.

Read more: Do you need an interpreter?

linkkiThe Finnish Association of Translators and Interpreters:
Search for an interpreter or a translatorFinnish | Swedish | English

InterpretingFinnish | English