Perhe Helsingissä

Family in Helsinki

Families who have moved from elsewhere are comfortable in Helsinki. The city offers services and activities for young couples, families with children and the elderly.

Marriage in Helsinki

Before getting married you must request, in writing, an examination of possible impediments to your marriage. You must request the examination from the Digital and Population Data Services Agency well in advance of the wedding. Civil marriages are conducted at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency and require an appointment.

Digital and Population Data Services Agency, Helsinki
Lintulahdenkuja 2 D, 2nd floor
Tel. 0295 536 244

Read more about marriage, marital contract or other family matters on the InfoFinland page: Marriage in Finland.

linkkiDigital and Population Data Services Agency:
Marriage ceremonyFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Family supportFinnish | Swedish | English

Child’s birth

Information regarding a child’s birth is sent from the hospital to the Finnish Population Information System. You must inform the Digital and Population Data Services Agency about the child’s names, native language and other necessary information on a separate form that will be sent to your home.

You can read more about the registration of a child’s birth, recognition of paternity and maternity and custody on the InfoFinland page: When a child is born in Finland.

linkkiHUS Helsinki University Hospital :
ChildbirthFinnish | Swedish | English

Childcare and early childhood education

Helsinki offers services and support for childcare and education. You can get advice and help with caring for a new-born at the Helsinki Maternity and Child Health Clinic. If you need help with everyday situations, ask the home help service.

Child home care allowance

If you care for your child under 3 years of age at home, you can claim child home care allowance (kotihoidon tuki). You can claim the allowance from Kela. In addition, the City of Helsinki pays a municipal care allowance supplement for families who care for a child under 2 years of age at home.

You can read more about childcare and education outside the home on the InfoFinland pages Early childhood education and Education in Helsinki.

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Child home care allowance and the Helsinki supplementFinnish | Swedish | English

Guidance and home service for families with children in Helsinki

Do you need advice and help with looking after a child at home or with everyday challenges? You can call the City of Helsinki’s social counselling for families with children. You can also ask for advice from the home service or ask if a home service professional can visit your family. Home service means assisting the family in their everyday activities.

Tel. 09 3101 54 54. The service is available on weekdays at 7:00–13:00, counselling at 9:00–12:00.

Home service for families with children is subject to a fee. Read more about the hourly rates and the home service on the City of Helsinki website.

Playgrounds and clubs

There are playgrounds and family houses in Helsinki in which activities are organised for children and parents who care for children at home. Activities can include sports, singing and arts and crafts.

Some playgrounds and family houses organise Finnish language courses for parents. During the course, a childminder takes care of your child.

Part-time clubs for children between the age of 2 and 5 who do not attend childcare are organised at day care centres, family houses and playgrounds. Similar clubs are also organised by the parishes of Helsinki and various associations.

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
PlaygroundsFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Activities for families with childrenFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Video about playground activitiesFinnish | Swedish | English | Somali | Persian | Arabic

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Family housesFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Clubs for childrenFinnish | Swedish | English

Temporary childcare

There are park aunties (puistotäti) at the City of Helsinki’s playgrounds. Park aunties provide temporary childcare in the mornings. Park aunties supervise and guide children who play at a playground. Childcare provided by park aunties is subject to a fee.

If you need a temporary nanny in your home, you can contact the Mannerheim League for Child Welfare (Mannerheimin lastensuojeluliitto) or Väestöliitto.

Helsinki also offers a home care service for families with children, which is subject to a fee and depends on the family’s monthly income.

Read more on the InfoFinland page: Taking care of a child.

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Park auntiesFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiFamily Federation of Finland:
Childcare and domestic helpFinnish

linkkiMannerheim League for Child Welfare:
Help for childcareFinnish | Swedish | English


Senior Info service is provided by the City of Helsinki and offers guidance in services for the elderly in Helsinki. Senior Info is intended for elderly people who live in Helsinki, and their relatives. Senior Info provides assistance in Finnish, Swedish and English.

Tel. 09 3104 4556 (Mon–Fri 9 am–15 noon)

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Senior InfoFinnish | Swedish | English

Supported and service housing

Some people, such as elderly or disabled persons, have difficulties in dealing with everyday tasks without assistance. The city organises services for them to help them live independently.

Elderly or disabled persons who are incapable of living independently can reside in sheltered housing or institutional care. You can receive more information on the services from a local social services unit.

Read more on the InfoFinland page: Supported and service housing.

If you care for a family member at home

If you are taking care of an elderly, ill or disabled family member at home, you may be entitled to informal care allowance. You can obtain more information from the local social and contact work unit (sosiaali- ja lähityön toimipiste).

Read more: Elderly.

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Social and contact work unitsFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Informal care supportFinnish | Swedish | English

Problems in a family

If a member of your family uses violence against you or threatens to do so, you can contact a shelter (turvakoti). The Mona Shelter is a shelter women and their children. It provides services in several languages.

Mona Shelter (24h)
Tel. 045 639 6274

If the situation is threatening, you can go to a shelter (Pääkaupungin Turvakoti ry).

Haaga Shelter
Steniuksentie 20
Tel. (09) 4777 180 (24h)

Toukola Shelter
Hämeentie 126 F
Tel. 050 5650 636 (24h)

Young people between the age of 12 and 19 can contact the Youth Emergency Shelter of the Finnish Red Cross (Nuorten turvatalo).

Uudenmaankatu 32 A
Open every day 5 pm - 10 am.

Tel. (09) 622 4322. You can call the shelter at any time.


You will find information on where to get help in Helsinki for problems related to children, young people and families on the InfoFinland page Problem situations in Helsinki.

You can also find information on children’s and young people’s problems on the InfoFinland page Children's and young people's problems.

The InfoFinland page Problems in marriage and relationships provides information on where you can get help with relationship issues.

linkkiPääkaupungin Turvakoti ry:
Help for victims of domestic violenceFinnish

linkkiFinnish Red Cross:
Youth Emergency Shelter of HelsinkiFinnish | Swedish


Women and men can file for divorce at the office of the District Court of Helsinki. Individual spouses can file for divorce independently. Applications can be sent to the District Court office by post or e-mail.

Helsinki District Court
Porkkalankatu 13
Tel. 029 56 44200

If you need help negotiating matters with your spouse, you can get help from family mediation (perheasioiden sovittelu). Read more about divorce proceedings and documents on the InfoFinland page: Divorce.
Divorce application(pdf, 100 kb)Finnish | Swedish

linkkiJudicial System:
District Court of HelsinkiFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Family mediationFinnish | Swedish | English

Children in a divorce

If you and your spouse have children, make an appointment to see a child supervisor (lastenvalvoja). The child supervisor will confirm an agreement on living arrangements, custody, visitation rights and child maintenance support.

Child supervisor appointments:
Tel. (09) 310 44999

Guidance on child supervisor services:
Tel. (09) 310 43447

If you need help agreeing matters related to your children, you can apply for family mediation.

Read more about children’s living arrangements, custody, visitation rights and child maintenance allowance on the InfoFinland page: Children in a divorce.

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Child welfare supervisorsFinnish | Swedish | English

Video about playground activities