Ongelmatilanteet Vaasassa

Problem situation in Vaasa

This page contains information about available services in Vaasa in case of problems. Other important information on the subject can be found on the page Problem situations.


In an emergency, call the emergency number 112. There is only one emergency number in Finland. Call 112 when you need urgent help from the police, ambulance or the fire brigade. Only call 112 when you know there is a risk to life, health, property or the environment.

Emergency social services provide help in child protection and family crisis situations. The Ostrobothnia Emergency Social Service can be reached by phone at any time of day, every day of the week. You can reach them on this number: 06 325 2347.

linkkiEmergency Response Centre Agency:
When to Call 112?Finnish | Swedish | English

Ostrobothnia Police DepartmentFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiCity of Vaasa:
First Aid and EmergenciesFinnish | Swedish | English

Social Stand-by ServiceFinnish | Swedish

linkkiVaasan Kaupunki:
A child welfare notification Finnish | Swedish

Discrimination and racism

If you suspect that you have been discriminated against when applying for a job or at work, you should first attempt to resolve the matter at the workplace. Discuss the issue with the worker’s or union representative. If the issue cannot be resolved, contact the occupational health and safety section of the Regional State Administrative Agency for Western and Inland Finland (Länsi- ja Sisä-Suomen aluehallintovirasto).

You can also contact the Ombudsman for Equality for help, if you have been discriminated against.

If you have been the victim of a racist crime, you can report the crime online or at the police station.

linkkiRegional State Administrative Agency:
Regional State Administrative Agency for Western and Inland FinlandFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiRegional State Administrative Agency:
Occupational Safety and Health HelplineFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiNon-Discrimination Ombudsman:
Help from the Non-Discrimination OmbudsmanFinnish | Swedish | English

Report a CrimeFinnish | Swedish | English

Read more: Discrimination and racism


If you need urgent police assistance in an emergency, call the emergency number 112. Do not call the emergency number if it is not an emergency.

You can report a crime to the police online. More information is available on the police website. You can also fill out the form and submit it at the police station.

Vaasa Central Police Station
Korsholmanpuistikko 45
65100 VAASA

If you are a victim or witness to a crime, you can get support from Victim Support Finland.

Vaasa Main Police Station, Customer ServiceFinnish | Swedish | English

Victim Support FinlandFinnish | Swedish | English

Read more: Crimes

Residence permit problems

If you have any problems or uncertainties with your residence permit, you can contact the Finnish Immigration Service (Maahanmuuttovirasto). You can also ask the Welcome Office for advice.

Finnish Immigration Service (Migri)
Korsholmanpuistikko 45
65100 Vaasa

Welcome Office,
Kirjastonkatu 13,
65100 Vaasa

Residence PermitFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiCity of Vaasa:
Welcome OfficeFinnish | Swedish | English

Read more: Residence permit problems.

Children’s and young people’s problems

A child welfare notification is made when there is concern about a child’s health and wellbeing. You can submit a child welfare notification by calling the child and family social services helpline 06 325 2320 on weekdays from 08:00 to 12:00. You can also contact the Ostrobothnia Emergency Social Service by phone, every day of the week, any time of the day. Their phone number is: +358 6 325 2347.

The public health nurse at the child welfare clinic can give advice on questions concerning the health, development and growth of your child. If necessary, the public health nurse can refer you to other services for help.

A school nurse or a school social worker (kuraattori) can help with the problems of school-age children. You can make an appointment with the child health clinic, if you want to ask for advice on matters concerning your child’s mental growth and development.

Outreach youth work is intended for young people, between the ages of 15 and 29 from Vaasa, who need support in planning their future and in taking care of everyday affairs.

linkkiVaasan Kaupunki:
Child welfareFinnish | Swedish

linkkiVaasan Kaupunki:
Outreach youth work Finnish | Swedish

Föregångarna - Outreach Youth WorkFinnish | Swedish

The family advice centre of the City of Vasa will help in difficult life situations. You can get help, for example, with parenting or if you are worried about your child's behaviour and wellbeing.

linkkiCity of Vaasa:
Family CounsellingFinnish | Swedish

Read more: Children's and young people's problems.

Mental health

If you struggle with mental health issues, you should first contact your own health station. Doctors at health stations can refer clients to mental health services and, if necessary, to psychiatric treatment.

The on-call psychiatric nurse at Vaasa Central Hospital will answer your questions around the clock. Anyone can call the nurse for free, any time of the day for advice and guidance. The number for the on-call nurse is 06 213 2009.

linkkiCity of Vaasa:
Health Station ServicesFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiVaasa Central Hospital:
Psychiatric Emergency ClinicFinnish | Swedish | English

Read more: Mental health.

Intoxicant abuse

You can get help dealing with problems to do with alcohol or drug use from your own health station or from occupational or student healthcare.

The Vaasa intoxicant Abuse Centre (Vaasan päihdekeskus) offers sobering-up treatment for people over 18 years of age and is open 24 hours a day.

Youth Centre Klaara (Nuorisoasema Klaara) offers help for 13-24 year olds when the use of alcohol, drugs or narcotics is of concern.

The Horizon Centre for Mental Health and Substance Abuse (Horisontti) offers substance abuse and addiction services for people over 25 years of age.

linkkiVaasan Kaupunki:
Vaasa intoxicant Abuse Centre Finnish | Swedish

linkkiCity of Vaasa:
Youth Centre KlaaraFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiCity of Vaasa:
Horizon Centre for Mental Health and Substance AbuseFinnish | Swedish | English

Read more: Intoxicant abuse.


If you need urgent police assistance in an emergency, call the emergency number 112.

If a member of your family uses violence towards you, or threatens you with violence, you can go to a shelter (turvakoti). You can call the shelter and go there any time of the day. The phone number is 06 3129666.

Pohjanmaan turvakoti Vaasassa
Varastokatu 12
65100 Vaasa
Puh 06 312 9666 (24h)

linkkiVaasan Ensi- Ja Turvakoti ry:
Vaasa Emergency ShelterFinnish | Swedish

Problems in marriage and relationships

You can get help with problems in your marriage or relationship from a family counsellor.

You can also get professional discussion assistance from the parish family counselling to help you with relationship and family issues, as well as difficult life situations.

The Ostrobothnian Mediation Office provides impartial mediation between two parties free of charge.

linkkiCity of Vaasa:
Family CounsellingFinnish | Swedish

linkkiVaasan Seurakuntayhtymä:
Parish family counselling Finnish | Swedish


A divorce application is filed at the Vaasa District Court (Vaasan käräjäoikeus) Registry. The application can also be sent by post or e-mail. Spouses can file for divorce either together or alone.

A Family Counsellor provides support and help in divorce situations.

Ostrobothnia District Court Finnish | Swedish

linkkiCity of Vaasa:
Family CounsellingFinnish | Swedish

Read more: Divorce

Financial problems

If you have financial and debt problems, you can contact the financial and debt counselling services. They provide information and advice free of charge.

You can also contact the social services financial support unit’s information number 06 3252326, Monday to Friday 08:00-16:00. You may be entitled to claim income support. Income support is intended as a last resort when there is little or no other income or resources. You can apply for basic income support from Kela.

linkkiCentral Ostrobothnia and Ostrobothnia Legal Aid Office:
Financial and Debt CounsellingFinnish | Swedish

Social AssistanceFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiCity of Vaasa:
Financial SupportFinnish | Swedish

Do you need a lawyer?

It is possible to get help from the Legal Aid Office, if you cannot afford to hire a lawyer yourself.

You can also look for information on private lawyers on the Finnish Bar Association’s website, for example.

linkkiCentral Ostrobothnia and Ostrobothnia Legal Aid Office:
Legal AidFinnish | Swedish

linkkiFinnish Bar Association:
Choose an AttorneyFinnish | Swedish | English

Read more: Do you need a lawyer?


When a loved one dies, you can get help and support from health stations, the Ostrobothnian Crisis Center Valo (Pohjanmaan kriisikeskus Valo), and parishes.

Vaasa cemeteries operate as public cemeteries and they are intended for all city residents. For more information on funeral matters, visit the parish website.

Ostrobothnian Crisis Center ValoFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiVaasan Seurakuntayhtymä:
Funeral ServicesFinnish | Swedish

linkkiVaasan Suomalainen Seurakunta:
Surun KohdatessaFinnish

Read more: Death