Asuminen Turussa

Housing in Turku

This page contains information about housing in Turku. Other important information on the subject can be found at the page Housing.

Rental apartments

You can rent an apartment from a private landlord, company or a public sector organisation such as TVT, VVO, YH kodit or a parish, with which you can file a housing application.

Apartments owned by the City of Turku are rented out by property company TVT Oy. In municipal rental housing, rents are lower than in housing provided by other landlords.

TVT’s unoccupied apartments can be applied for by filling in the application form. The form can be filled in electronically at the company’s website or office.

TVT Asunnot Oy
Käsityöläiskatu 3
20100 Turku
Tel. 02 262 4111
Rental service (02) 262 4888

Student apartments

If you are a student, you can apply for rental housing intended specifically for students. The rent for student housing is normally cheaper than for other housing.

Student apartments can be rented from, for example

Student Village Foundation of Turku
Inspehtorinkatu 14
20540 TURKU
tel. (02) 2750 200

Information about TVT-owned and other rental housing and student housing can be found at:

linkkiCity of Turku:
Rental apartmentsFinnish | Swedish | English

Read more:

Student housing
Rental apartments

linkkiTVT Asunnot Oy:
Ren­tal ho­mes in Tur­kuFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiThe Student Village Foundation of Turku:
Rental apartments for studentsFinnish | Swedish | English

Owner-occupied apartments

On the Internet, you will find many real estate agents that sell apartments. The prices of the apartments vary greatly according to the type of building and location. Banks and other financial institutions can grant a loan to private persons to purchase their own apartment.

Read more:

Owner-occupied housing

Right-of-occupancy housing

You can apply for a right-of-occupancy dwelling if:

  • You are at least 18 years old
  • You do not own a dwelling and you do not have the assets to purchase one (if you are 55 or older, the restrictions on property do not apply to you)

A right-of-occupancy dwelling can be applied for in Turku on a form that you will find on the website of Varsinais-Suomen Asumisoikeus Oy:

linkkiVarsinais-Suomen Asumisoikeus Oy (VASO):
Right-of-occupancy apartments in TurkuFinnish | Swedish | English

Read more:

Right-of-occupancy housing

Housing in a crisis and homelessness

If your apartment has been damaged, for example by fire or water, in some cases home insurance may compensate for the additional living costs incurred. Contact your own insurance company as soon as the accident has occurred.

In some cases, help can also be obtained from the Social Office: Contact your own social worker or the social services emergency number. During working hours, call (02) 262 6003. In the evenings or at weekends, call the emergency number 112, and you will then be connected to the Turku Region social services emergency number.

If a member of your family is using violence against you or threatening to do so, you can obtain help from a shelter.

Turun ensi- ja turvakoti ry:
Inspehtorinkatu 7
20810 TURKU
tel. (02) 5134 100

linkkiTurun ensi- ja turvakoti ry:
Turku refugeFinnish

If you are young and you have problems at home, you can contact Turun Nuorten turvatalo (Turku Youth Shelter) which belongs to the Finnish Red Cross. The Youth Shelter will give you a place where you can discuss and temporary overnight accommodation.

Finnish Red Cross Turku Youth Shelter
Yliopistonkatu 24 A 21
20100 Turku
Tel. 02 253 9667

linkkiRed Cross:
Turku Emergency Youth ShelterFinnish | Swedish | English

You can find information on searching for an apartment at the InfoFinland website Housing.

Read more:

Housing in a crisis
linkkiCity of Turku:
Social Emergency ServicesFinnish | Swedish | English

Support- and service housing

Some people, for example the elderly and the disabled, find it difficult to cope at home without assistance. In such cases, the city organises services for them, which help them to live independently.

The elderly and disabled, who cannot live independently, can live in a service house or institution.

In order to receive support- and service housing, contact the social work unit in your own area or the director of home care. You will find more information on the City of Turku website.

linkkiCity of Turku:
Housing ServicesFinnish | English

Read more:

Supported and service housing

Housing benefit

You can find information about housing benefit at the InfoFinland webpage Housing benefit.

You can receive housing benefit if you are on a low income and living permanently in Finland. The Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela) helps people take care of housing costs through different forms of housing benefit. The benefit is not automatic so, before applying for it, it is worth checking what the right benefit is for you or your family. You can apply for housing benefit from Kela. Housing benefit can also be applied for online.

Kela Turku
Eerikinkatu 26
20100 Turku

Kela Skanssi (situated at Citizen Service Centre Monitori)
Skanssi Shopping Centre
Skanssinkatu 10

The office is open on weekdays by appointment.

Without an appointment, it is open Mon-Wed 11 am - 4 pm and on Thursdays 12 noon - 4 pm.

Benefits for HousingFinnish | Swedish | English

Other benefits for housing

If you live in a rental apartment owned by the City of Turku or TVT, you can seek advice and help from a housing adviser. He/she will help and advise you in problems concerning rental payment, how to apply for housing-related benefit, and in other housing-related problems.

Contact information for housing advisers:

TVT Asunnot Oy
Käsityöläiskatu 3
20100 Turku
tel. (02) 262 4169 and (02) 262 2758

Akseli Kiinteistöpalvelu is a property company whose website contains instructions concerning housing. The company has offices in Varissuo and Lauste.

linkkiAkseli kiinteistöpalvelut:
Akseli kiinteistöpalvelutFinnish

Many other districts also have their own service company. You can find them by typing the name of your district and the word ‘maintenance’ into Google.

Community Mediation Centre

The Community Mediation Centre arbitrates in disputes between residents of a building, and keeps the peace between neighbours by providing living-related guidance. Anyone may ask for advice and mediation, if they have a problem with their neighbours.

The telephone number for the Community Mediation Centre in Turku 045 110 3483

linkkiFinnish Refugee Council:
Community Mediation CentreFinnish | English

Waste management and recycling

You can put normal waste in the waste receptacles at your building. You may not, however, put toxic chemicals or electrical equipment in the receptacles. These must be taken to recycling points. Glass, metal, paper and cardboard are also collected separately. Take them to the correct waste receptacles either at your own building or at a recycling point.

You can search for your nearest recycling point at the website of Lounais-Suomen Jätehuolto or at the kierrä online service of Jätehuoltoyhdistys (Finnish Solid Waste Association).

linkkiLounais-Suomen Jätehuolto:
Lounais-Suomen JätehuoltoFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiFinnish Solid Waste Association:
Kierrä (

Read more:

Waste management and recycling