Living in Finland


Asuminen Tampereella

Housing in Tampere

This page contains information about housing in Tampere. Other important information on the subject can be found on the page Housing

Housing advice

The housing advisory service for immigrants is primarily intended for people who are new to the municipality. The housing advisor works as part of the early-stage services for immigrants at the Sarvis Social Office.

Please refer to the Housing Guide for Immigrants section for information on the special characteristics of housing in Finland. The tips provided in the guide mainly concern rental housing, but you can also find general information related to comfortable housing and the maintenance of your home.

Read more: Housing problems, Rights and obligations of occupants

linkkiCity of Tampere:

linkkiTampereen kaupunki:
Asumisen opas maahanmuuttajalleFinnish | English | Russian | French | Somali | Arabic | Kurdish

Rental dwelling

The Housing Market Place Asuntotori is a great way to find out about rental and right-of-occupancy properties in Tampere. You will also find information about housing for students and the elderly. If you are a student, you can submit an application for student housing.

Asuntotori - Housing Market Place
Puutarhakatu 8
33210 Tampere
Tel. 020 127 7215

Electronic applications
The Housing Market Place website provides details on organisations offering rental properties in the Tampere area. To apply for a property, visit the organisations’ own websites to submit an application.

Private rental dwelling
You can also find rental dwellings on real estate portals, such as, Oikotie, Jokakoti and Forenom.

Read more: Rental dwelling, Student housing

Obtaining housingFinnish
Rental housingFinnish | English

Rental housingFinnish

Rental housingFinnish | English | Russian

Right-of-occupancy housing

You can apply for right-of-occupancy housing, if

• you are at least 18 years old
• you do not own a house or an apartment and do not have the funds to purchase one (if you are 55 years old or older, the asset limits do not apply to you)

To apply for right-of-occupancy housing, you need a queue number, which can be obtained from the housing services of the City of Tampere for housing units located in Tampere. You can apply for the number online. You can also print the form and fill it in by hand. Post your application to the following address:

Housing Department (Asuntotoimi)
Frenckellinaukio 2 B
PL 487

Once you have obtained the queue number, ask for available housing from owners and developers. The contact information is available on the City of Tampere website. You can apply for housing in multiple areas at the same time.

Read more: Right-of-occupancy dwelling

linkkiCity of Tampere:
Right-of-occupancy housing and applying for itFinnish

Owner-occupied housing

Many real estate agents who sell housing can be found online. Owner occupied housing is fairly expensive. Banks and other financing institutions grant loans to private individuals for purchasing owner-occupied dwellings.

Read more: Owner-occupied housing

Supported and service housing

Kotitori is a service and guidance point for the elderly, which provides information on various types of housing intended for senior citizens.

Senior housing

The housing units in senior houses have been designed for elderly people who can function without outside help or with minor support. The dwellings are rental or owner-occupied housing units that are primarily intended for healthy people over 55 or 60 years of age.

Service homes

Service homes provide suitable housing and necessary services for those who are no longer capable of living in their own homes but do not yet require the services of a nursing home or hospital care.

Frenckellin aukio 2 B
33101 Tampere
Tel. 03 5656 5700

linkkiInformation Office for Elderly People (Kotitori):
Service and information office for elderly peopleFinnish | English

linkkiTampereen kaupunki:
Housing services for the elderlyFinnish | English

Housing services for the disabled

You can enquire about housing services for the mentally or physically disabled from the City of Tampere Social Welfare Office for the Disabled.

Social Welfare Office for the Disabled
Kanta-Sarvis 3
Hatanpäänkatu 3 J (4th floor)
Tel. 040 159 8379, counselling mon - thu 12 noon - 2 pm

linkkiCity of Tampere:
Social Welfare Office for the DisabledFinnish | English

linkkiCity of Tampere:
Housing services for the disabledFinnish

Housing in a crisis situation

If a member of your family uses violence against you or threatens to do so, you can contact a shelter. You can call the shelter at any hour; the telephone number is 050 309 9313.

The Emergency Youth Shelters maintained by the Finnish Red Cross are intended for young people under 19 years of age and their families. You can also stay overnight, if necessary. The services of the Youth Shelters are free of charge.

City of Tampere Mother and Child Home and Shelter
Mutkakatu 38
33500 Tampere
Tel. 050 309 9313 (on call 24 h)

Pirkanmaa Shelter Home
Terhokuja 5
33840 Tampere

Emergency Youth Shelter
Hämeenkatu 22 C
33200 Tampere
Tel. 040 556 6661

Read more: Housing in a crisis situation

linkkiTampere Shelter Home:
Help for victims of domestic violenceFinnish | English

linkkiWomen's Shelter:
Help for victims of domestic violenceFinnish

linkkiFinnish Red Cross:
Youth Emergency ShelterFinnish | English


Should you find yourself without a home, please contact the Social Services.

Social services’ counselling service
Sosiaaliasema Sarvis
Hatanpäänkatu 3 J
Tel. 03 5657 0200

linkkiCity of Tampere:
HomelessnessFinnish | English

linkkiCity of Tampere:
Counselling Point of Social ServicesFinnish | English

Housing allowance

You can apply for housing allowance from Kela. Many Kela benefits can also be applied for online.

Aleksis Kiven katu 18
33210 Tampere

Kela, Hervanta
Insinöörinkatu 40
33720 Tampere

Read more: Housing allowance

Contact information for the officesFinnish | English

Housing benefitsFinnish | English

Waste management for your housing and recycling

Sort all waste generated by your household, such as organic waste, glass, metal, cardboard and paper, and take it to your building's waste containers or waste collection points. Do not place hazardous or toxic waste, such as chemicals, in waste containers. Take hazardous waste to the nearest waste collection point. Your building's waste containers are intended for normal household waste only.

Furniture, household appliance scrap and other sizeable waste must be taken to a waste treatment plant or processing centre. If you cannot transport large waste items, you can order the Repsikka retrieval services, which is subject to a charge.

Do not throw solid waste, litter or food scraps into the toilet bowl or drain.

Pirkanmaan Jätehuolto Oy
Naulakatu 2
33100 Tampere
Tel. 03 240 5110, customer service open 8:30 am-3:45 pm

Read more: Waste management and recycling

linkkiPirkanmaan Jätehuolto Oy:
Waste containers and guidanceFinnish

linkkiPirkanmaan Jätehuolto Oy:
Household Waste guideFinnish | English | Russian

linkkiEkokumppanit Oy:
Maahanmuuttajan ympäristöopasFinnish

linkkiTampere Water:
Water and sewage mattersFinnish | English