Living in Finland


Tarvitsetko juristia?
theme icon

Do you need a lawyer?

In legal matters, assistance can be obtained from a lawyer. He or she will advise you and ensure that your rights are secured. A lawyer can be necessary in the following situations:

  • Divorce
  • Serious disputes
  • When preparing various agreements, deeds and wills
  • If you have fallen victim to a crime or you are suspected of an offence
  • Inheritance matters

Legal aid

The services of a lawyer are subject to a fee, but if your income is low or average, you may be eligible for free or partially reimbursed legal aid from the Public Legal Aid Office (oikeusaputoimisto). Legal aid is not provided to communities or companies. The provision of legal aid services is always decided on a case-by-case basis. Public legal aid is also provided in English and, if necessary, the services of an interpreter may be employed. Public legal aid can be applied for at the Public Legal Aid Office.

If you have legal expenses insurance (oikeusturvavakuutus) to cover your legal costs, you are not eligible for public legal aid. Legal expenses insurance can be obtained from insurance companies.

The Finnish Bar Association (Suomen Asianajajaliitto) organises free legal counselling in many cities, which provides basic information and guidance for your legal problems.

You can search for contact information for private lawyers through online search engines or from The Finnish Bar Association's ‘Find a Lawyer’ service.

Legal assistance can also be requested from the Finnish Refugee Advice Centre (Suomen Pakolaisneuvonta), which also provides help and guidance to asylum seekers, refugees and other foreigners in Finland. Contact information is available on the Finnish Refugee Advice Centre website.

If you are the victim of a crime, you can ask about your rights and receive guidance from Victim Support Finland’s (Rikosuhripäivystys) legal counselling line (Juristin puhelinneuvonta) at 0800 161 177 from Monday to Thursday, 5 pm to 7 pm.

Information on what to do if you fall victim to an offence is available on the InfoFinland page Crimes.

linkkiMinistry of Justice:
Legal aidFinnish | Swedish | English | Russian | Arabic

linkkiPublic Legal Aid Office:
Information on legal aidFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiRefugee Advice Centre:
Legal aid for refugeesFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiJudicial system:
Legal Aid OfficesFinnish | Swedish | English

Up-to-date Finnish legislationFinnish | Swedish

linkkiMinistry of Justice:
Ministry of JusticeFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiThe Finnish Bar Association:
LawyersFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiMinistry of Justice:
If You Become a Victim of a Crime brochureFinnish | Swedish | English | Russian | Estonian | Somali | Arabic

linkkiVictim Support Finland:
Legal advice for victims of crimeFinnish | Swedish