theme icon


If you become a victim of crime

If you need police assistance quickly, call the emergency number 112. Only call the emergency number in case of emergencies where life, health, property or the environment is in danger. Read more on the InfoFinland page Emergencies.

Reporting a crime

Everyone is entitled to report a crime to the police. You can report a crime by telephone, at a police station in person or through the police website. Report the crime as soon as possible.

Instructions on how to file a crime reportFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiMinistry of Justice:
If You Become a Victim of a Crime brochureFinnish | Swedish | English | Russian | Estonian | Somali

Victim Support Finland

If you are a victim of a crime, you can get support and advice from Victim Support Finland. You can contact Victim Support Finland by telephone or chat or visit a local service point. Victim Support Finland also offers free legal advice.

Victim Support Finland also gives non-discrimination advice. You can contact an advice number if you suspect that you have been discriminated against.

You can find the contact information of Victim Support Finland on the website.

linkkiVictim Support Finland:
Aid to crime victimsFinnish | Swedish | English

Aid to a victim of crimeFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiVictim Support Finland:
Legal advice for victims of crimeFinnish | Swedish | English

Legal aid to a victim of crime

Legal aid means that you can get an attorney for free or with the government paying part of the costs. You can find more information on the InfoFinland page Do you need a lawyer?

linkkiPublic Legal Aid Office:
Information on legal aidFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiVictim Support Finland:
Information on the criminal process for victims of crimeFinnish | Swedish | English

If you are suspected of a crime

If the police suspect you of a crime, they will summon you to a police station for hearing. In case of a serious crime, the police may also seize or arrest the suspect.

Suspects are also entitled to legal aid. You can find more information about legal aid on the InfoFinland page Do you need a lawyer?

Handling of criminal cases in Finland

If the police suspect that there has been a crime, they start a pre-trial investigation. Once the police have completed the pre-trial investigation, the criminal case transfers to the prosecutor.

The prosecutor considers whether to prosecute. If the prosecutor decides to prosecute, the criminal case moves to court. The prosecutor may also decide not to prosecute.

Once the criminal case moves to court, a trial is held in a district court. The victim of the crime, the suspect and witnesses are summoned to the trial. It is mandatory to go to the trial. Some criminal cases can be handled in court in writing; in those cases, it is not mandatory to go to the trial. At the end of the trial, the court gives its judgement.

Not all criminal cases are handled in court. Criminal cases can also be settled out of court if the victim and suspect agree to this. The purpose of settling out of court is to agree on compensation for the damage caused by the crime.

linkkiMinistry of Justice:
Criminal proceedings in district courtFinnish | Swedish | English