Vammainen lapsi
theme icon

Disabled child

Disability benefit for under 16-year-olds

A person who is younger than 16 can receive disability benefit (vammaistuki) if his/her disability or illness causes a need for regular care and rehabilitation for at least six months. You can apply for disability benefit for a person younger than 16 from Kela. The benefit is usually granted for a certain time period. After the period has ended, you can apply for an extension.

linkkiThe Social Insurance Institution of Finland, Kela:
Disability benefit for a childFinnish | Swedish | English

Special care allowance

You are eligible to receive special care allowance (erityishoitoraha) from Kela if

  • your child under 16 is in hospital care or
  • you take care of your child at home and this home care is related to your child’s hospital care or
  • your labour market subsidy has been temporarily suspended because you cannot participate in integration activities due to taking care of your child or
  • your child restarts school or day care.

Special care allowance for a person under 16 years oldFinnish | Swedish | English

Rehabilitation for a child

A child with a severe disability may be eligible for medical rehabilitation for persons with severe disabilities (vaativa lääkinnällinen kuntoutus). Kela organises the rehabilitation and reimburses its costs. Rehabilitation may include many kinds of activities. It can contain, for example, physiotherapy or various courses, which teach the child to live with their disability. Kela may also arrange rehabilitation in the form of discretionary rehabilitation (harkinnanvarainen kuntoutus). The aim of discretionary rehabilitation is to improve working or functional capability. If your child is not entitled to Kela’s rehabilitation services for persons with severe disabilities, your municipality of residence is responsible for providing rehabilitation services for your child.

linkkiThe Social Insurance Institution of Finland, Kela:
Intensive Medical RehabilitationFinnish | Swedish | English

A disabled child at school

A disabled child has the right to go to school in his or her local school. A disabled child may be given special teaching if his or her disability makes learning difficult. A child can also have a school assistant (koulunkäyntiavustaja) if necessary.

Kela can pay for expensive and demanding equipment (apuvälineet) that a disabled child needs for school. These can include, for example, computers and their accessories. Such equipment can be given if a child cannot study without them or finds it very difficult. A child can have such aids at the earliest when he or she is in the seventh grade of comprehensive school.

linkkiThe Social Insurance Institution of Finland, Kela:
Aids for work and studyFinnish | Swedish | English

Leisure activities for a disabled child

You can find information on different hobbies in your neighbourhood, for example, at the Sports and Culture Department of your municipality. Disability organisations also organise many hobbies and activities. The Finnish Sports Association for Persons with Disabilities (VAU), for example, organises different sports and exercise events.

linkkiFinnish Sports Association for Persons with Disabilities (VAU):
Physical activities for children and young people with disabilitiesFinnish | Swedish | English