Muut tuet perheille
theme icon

Other family benefits

Families can receive different benefits to cover their living expenses. The prerequisite for receiving most benefits is that you are covered by Finnish social security or have a municipality of residence in Finland.

A family whose income is not sufficient to cover the rent for accommodation or the expenses of owner-occupied accommodation can apply for general housing allowance from Kela.

A child’s guardian who is retired can apply for a child increase from Kela to supplement their pension. Kela continues to pay this child increase until the child turns 16.

A family may apply for income support if it has economic problems that it cannot otherwise cope with. Income support is applied for from Kela.

If you are looking after a family member at home who has a chronic disease or is disabled or elderly, your home municipality might pay you family caregiver’s support (omaishoidontuki). You can apply for family caregiver’s support from your municipal social services office. Read more on the InfoFinland page Financial support and on the page Elderly under Taking care of a family member at home.

The InfoFinland web page Single parent families contains information on the kinds of benefits a guardian living with the child can receive if the parents do not live together. Child maintenance support is a fee which a parent living outside the family home pays to participate in the child's expenses. The parent who does not live with the child pays child maintenance support to the parent living with the child.

Child increase for a retired guardianFinnish | Swedish | English