Living in Finland


Maahanmuuttajana Helsingissä

As an immigrant in Helsinki

Immigrant guidance and integration


Helsinki-info is an advice service where you can get up-to-date information about Helsinki, city services, housing opportunities, work and studying. You can also ask for help if you are uncertain as to which authority to contact. Helsinki-info also offers digital advice and helps with matters connected to entry into the country. Helsinki-info serves in several languages by phone, face to face or online.


Tel. 09 310 11111, Mon–Thu 9 am–4 pm, Fri 10 am–3 pm

Service points:

  • Central Library Oodi, address: Töölönlahdenkatu 1
  • International House Helsinki, address: Lintulahdenkuja 2


linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Chat counsellingFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Send a question or give feedbackFinnish | Swedish | English

International House Helsinki

If you have recently moved into the Helsinki metropolitan area, you can receive guidance and public services in one place at International House Helsinki (IHH). You can:

  • seek free guidance and information related to moving in several languages
  • registration of right of residence if you are a citizen of an EU country
  • apply for a Finnish personal identity code, register as a resident and report your address information
  • receive a tax card, a tax number and guidance related to taxation
  • search for information about Finnish social security and benefits
  • receive guidance on TE services and searching for work
  • receive guidance on earnings-related pension and information on the A1 certificate
  • seek employment guidance
  • seek guidance for companies and employers

The IHH Service Advisor App web application helps you to find the correct authorities and gives you advice on what documents you should take with you.

The service includes Helsinki-info, City of Espoo, the Local Register Office of Uusimaa, the Finnish Immigration Service, the Tax Administration, Kela, the Uusimaa TE Office, the Finnish Centre for Pensions, the Helsinki Region Chamber of Commerce and the Central Organisation of Finnish Trade Unions, SAK.

International House Helsinki
Lintulahdenkuja 2
00530 Helsinki

linkkiInternational House Helsinki:
IHH – a service point for people moving to Finland English

linkkiInternational House Helsinki:
IHH Service Advisor App web application English

Initial assessment and integration plan

When you register as a job seeker, an employee of the Employment and Economic Development Office (Työ- ja elinkeinotoimisto) will complete an initial assessment (alkukartoitus) with you and prepare an integration plan (kotoutumissuunnitelma). The Employment and Economic Development Offices of Itäkeskus and Pasila perform initial assesments. In order to have an initial survey, you must register as a job seeker online at You can register as a job seeker online if you have Finnish online banking credentials. You can also register for an initial assesment at an Employment and Economic Development Office.

Itäkeskus unit
Address: Asiakkaankatu 3 A, 4th floor
Telephone: 0295 025 500
Opening hours: Mon-Fri 9 am to 4 pm

Pasila unit
Address: Ratapihantie 7 (entrance from the Veturinkatu side of the building)
Telephone: 0295 025 500
Opening hours: Mon-Fri 9 am to 4 pm

linkkiTE Services:
Videos and brochures for immigrantsFinnish | Swedish | English | Russian | Estonian | French | Somali | Spanish | Turkish | Chinese | Arabic

Immigration Unit

The Immigration Unit of the City of Helsinki’s Social Services and Health Care helps with the integration of refugees living in Helsinki. Services provided by the Immigration Unit include guidance, counselling and initial assessments. The Immigration Unit also helps people who are victims of human trafficking.

If you are not looking for a job, but would like to receive an initial assesment and integration plan, contact the Immigration Unit of the City of Helsinki’s Social Services and Health Care.

Contact information of the Immigration Unit:
Työpajankatu 14A
00580 Helsinki
Social work helpline (09) 310 37 577 Mon–Fri 8:15 am–4 pm

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Immigration UnitFinnish | Swedish | English

Read more: Integration into Finland.

Do you need an interpreter?

If you do not know how to speak Finnish or Swedish, you can use an interpreter when dealing with the authorities.

In some cases, the authorities may provide the interpreter. If so, the interpreting services will not cost you anything. You can ask about the interpreting arrangements beforehand from the authority in question or receive guidance from the City of Helsinki’s Immigration Information Centre. Kela and the Finnish Immigration service (Maahanmuuttovirasto), for example, book interpreters for their customers in some cases.

You can employ the services of an interpreter at any time if you pay the costs and book one yourself.

Many companies also provide interpretation services. You can search for such companies with an online search engine, for example. The Finnish Association of Translators and Interpreters website hosts a search engine through which you can search for an interpreter or a translator.

The services of the Helsinki Region Community Interpreting Centre are primarily intended for authorities that work with immigrants.

Read more: Do you need an interpreter?

linkkiThe Finnish Association of Translators and Interpreters:
Search for an interpreter or a translatorFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiHelsinki Region Community Interpreting Centre: