Skip to content

Intoxicant abuse

Do you or your family member or friend have problems with alcohol or drugs? This page contains information on where you can get help for these problems in Finland.

Health and social services centre

You can contact the nearest health and social services centre (sosiaali- ja terveyskeskus) if you have issues with alcohol or drug use. Different wellbeing services counties may use different names for health and social services centre, such as terveysasema, terveyskeskus or hyvinvointiasema.


A-Clinics can help with intoxicant abuse and other addiction problems. A-Clinics offer, among other things, outpatient clinic services, substitution treatment and detoxification. There are A-Clinics all over Finland. Treatment at an A-Clinic is confidential.

Seek treatment at an A-Clinic through the intoxicant abuse services (päihdepalvelut) of your area of residence.

Link redirects to another websiteA-Clinic Foundation

Help for intoxicant addiction

AddictionLink online service

The Päihdelinkki online service maintained by the A-Clinic Foundation contains information on intoxicant abuse and addictions. Some of the AddictionLink services are also available in Swedish, English and Russian.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Alcoholics Anonymous (Anonyymit Alkoholistit), or AA, is a peer association for men and women to share experiences about alcoholism and to help each other recover. AA groups meet in many different municipalities, and the largest cities also have English-speaking groups.

Al-Anon offers support to friends and families of alcoholics. There is an English-speaking Al-Anon group that meets in Helsinki.

Narcotics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous (Nimettömät narkomaanit), or NA, offers support, information and group meetings. You can become a member if you have a desire to stop using drugs. Information on the meetings is available on the website in Finnish, English and Swedish.